Judy used wire, wick, vegetable oil, a container and hand tools to make these oil lamps.
She lists some advantages of oil lamps:
- very cheap to run – can even burn used cooking oil
- the fumes are less toxic than those of paraffin candles or mineral oil lamps
- the production of renewable vegetable oil is less harmful to the environment than petroleum based products (including paraffin candles)
- for the extreme survivalist, vegetable oil is easier to store in bulk, or can even be produced on the home farm
- due to the wider base, more stable than candles, and the flame of any burning wick falling into the oil will be extinguished
- odour free when using olive oil
I’ve made many beeswax candles over the years and love the smell, but they are a lot of work to make. These sound like they are easy to make and look great.