Sump pump replacement

Our sump pump was making an odd grinding noise. When I removed the cover I discovered that tube that supports the motor had cracked and the whole thing was twisting rather than pump water.

Water was still coming in, so I wanted to have all the parts on hand before starting. It didn’t work out quite that way. After 3 trips to the hardware store, I had the right parts, but enough water had come in that I had to use the shop vac to empty it out.

Materials:

  • Replacement sump pump. I went with a 1/2 HP submersible.

Pipes, in my case:

  • 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 inch threaded to barbed fitting
  • 1 1/4 inch threaded to barbed fitting.
  • 1 1/4 inch water line
  • pipe tape.

Tools:

  • Pipe wrench or channel lock pliers.
  • Flat head screw driver
  • Shop vac.

 

Old sump pumpThis is the old sump pump efore replacement. I had to make a splint using 1 1/2 PVC pipe and hose clamps.
Here the old pump is removed. I thought I had to remove the elbow, which is why it is angled up. This is the point where I made the extra trips to the plumbing store and had to shop vac out the water that entered.
The new pump with a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 inch threaded to barbed fitting.  The pump was threaded for 1 1/2 inch pipe and the house had 1 1/4 inch pipe.  Note the white pipe tape on the threads of the fitting.
The black pipe was cut so that when both the barbed fittings were pressed in all the way, the whole assembly would fit under the existing pipes in the sump.  The plan was to thread the upper fitting into the pipe and then press the pump down.  

 

That wasn’t workingso I removed the black pipe and upper fitting from the pump and the lower fitting.  I attached the upper fitting to the drain pipe. Once it was tight, I slid two hose clamps onto the black pipe, then worked the pump and lower fitting into the black pipe. I slid the black pipe down onto the lower fitting.

You can see how much the black pipe had to be slid down to make a proper connection with the lower fitting.  Since this connection is in the sump, I wasn’t too worried if there was a small leaks.     

To move the black pipe, I alternately tightened and loosened the upper and lower hose clamps, depending on what part I wanted to move and which I wanted to stay still, then pushed down on the pump.

The pump was pressed down and twisted left and right, to make sure it was sitting on the bottom of the sump and not supported but the pipes. Finally, both hose clamps were tightened.

 

I tested it by dumping in a few buckets of water.  It worked great… after I plugged it into the outlet!

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

A computer geek with a taste for sustainable living, organic food, green products, buying local, woodworking, bicycling, running, yoga, recycling and doing-it-yourself.